Cycling – Day 8 Update

Well, as expected, all my livestock, (Knobbly Sea Star, 2 Chromis and 2 Damsels) all went to Sea Heaven… It gave me a glimpse of how delicate the water parameters are in a salt water environment. So different from fresh water, and definitely more difficult! πŸ™‚ Thats what I’m craving for. hee….. Uh.. the Thunder crab I caught from Punggol beach is still alive and kicking! πŸ˜€ Wil keep it in the refugium when my tank is here.

While the eradication of the livestock wasn’t a disappointment as it was very much a premeditated experiment, albeit a …. cruel one, the death of the 4 fishes in the curing tub created a terrible smell and fouled the waters in the tub. By the time I got home from work 2 days ago, the smell in the tub was just incredible! Luckily everything was at the balcony, and is well circulated, so the smell didn’t get into the house. In fact, you wouldn’t have noticed unles you stood with your nose 3 cm away from the water. πŸ˜€

Anyways, yesterday, I took the opportunity to clean up the tub, found and removed the carcasses and let it continue curing. By today, the water was clear again, and there was no longer any smell, but I was sure that ammonia and Nitrite would have spiked to kingdom come. Sure enough, the tests confirmed my suspicions…

Good thing I had the chance to be at Marinelife Hobbilist (Correct spelling) this afternoon, and spent a good 2 hours just talking with Henry, the owner of the shop. He was extremely knowledgeable and not to mention helpful. πŸ™‚ I told him of the situation with the curing back home, and he gave me a very clear and concise instructions on the next steps. He must have spent something like 30 minutes just explaining to me about the chemistry of water. He must be the first chemistry teacher I like! πŸ˜€

I bought some microbes from Henry to innoculate the rocks and to speed up the process. He packed them into seperate sleeves for me, and will last me through the 1st month of my new tank. Don’t ask me how much this is… πŸ˜›

Apart from the microbes, I also bought some carbon to help remove the waste and smell in the tub, something Henry recommended.

Then, I also bought another test kit for PH and KH, both two of the most important parameters to note.

Then, some buffers and builder, which serves to build up the KH and PH of the tank.

At the time of this writing, I have already cleaned up the Eheim canister filter, put the carbon in it, stirred in the microbes, added some buffer and builder to increase my very low PH and KH. and will wait till tomorrow night before measuring again to see if things have improved. πŸ™‚

Henry also gave me some nice Cheato for my refugium. I left them with my Thunder crab in the pail. πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Musings. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s